Are you looking for a unique and special gift to give someone close to your heart? Or are you a parent who wants to keep the most precious memories of early motherhood alive? Have you heard of breast milk jewelry?
Making breast milk jewelry may be just the perfect craft project for you! DIY kits are available, so anyone can make one-of-a-kind keepsakes with ease. Here's a guide on how to make beautiful and lasting pieces of jewelry out of breast milk.
This article will cover why making this kind of jewelry is such an amazing idea, some benefits that come with acquiring DIY supplies rather than getting a store to do it, and then tips on how you actually make the jewelry itself.
Let's get started!
Why make breast milk jewelry
This may seem like a new trend, but it's actually been around for quite some time. Why do mothers choose to have their own breast milk turned into jewelry? Well, for starters, it's a sentimental way to keep a piece of their breastfeeding journey with them forever.
This jewelry can serve as a constant reminder of the bond between mother and child, even after the breastfeeding journey has ended.
It's also a unique and beautiful way to celebrate motherhood and the incredible feat that is nourishing a little one with one's own body.
Plus, it makes for a great conversation piece when someone compliments your beautiful piece of jewelry and you get to share its special story!
Remembering special moments
Create a lasting memory
Breastfeeding is a beautiful and intimate experience between a mother and her child. It's a bond that lasts forever, and what better way to commemorate it than with a piece of jewelry made from breastmilk?
These pieces of jewelry are handmade and can come in a variety of styles, including charms, pendants, earrings, and even rings. Each piece is unique, just like your breastfeeding journey. Just imagine having your own breast milk ring!
It's a beautiful and sentimental way to honor the special bond between mother and child, and to have a lasting reminder of that special time in your life.
Benefits of DIY kits
Have you ever considered picking up a DIY breast milk jewelry kit? Not only are they a fun way to explore your creative side and make something unique, but there are also some great benefits to giving it a try.
No hunting for supplies
Firstly, DIY kits often come with all the materials you need, so you don't need to worry about hunting down specific items or tools.
Additionally, they usually come with instructions that make it easy to follow along, whether you're a seasoned crafter or a complete beginner. And let's not forget the sense of satisfaction you get from completing a project that you made with your own two hands! So why not give it a go and see what you can create?
Affordable and customizable options
It's an affordable and customizable way to provide a lasting keepsake of those precious memories. Whether you want to create a necklace, bracelet, or earrings, there are endless design options to choose from.
You can even add other elements like a baby's lock of hair, birthstone, or umbilical cord to make it even more personalized. With breast milk jewelry, you'll have a beautiful and memorable piece of jewelry that will last a lifetime.
What is the best kit?
There are lots of kits on the market, some better than others. And it depends what you need and want. You can find out favorites in our full article on breastmilk jewelry.
Think about what pieces you want, is it a breast milk ring, necklace, earrings or maybe a set. Do you need silver or are you ok with stainless steel for example.
Maybe you have done this before and have a lot of the tools and you just need a few refills of the resin and preservation powder.
How to make breast milk jewelry
Breast milk jewelry is a unique and special way to commemorate the breastfeeding journey between a mother and child. Making breast milk jewelry might seem like a daunting task, but it doesn't have to be! With the right materials and some simple steps, you can create a beautiful piece of jewelry that will hold a little bit of your child's essence forever.
Don't worry if you're not crafty, there are plenty of online stores where you can order a DIY kit that will guide you through every step of the process. Whether you choose a pendant, a bracelet, or a pair of earrings, breast milk jewelry is a lovely and meaningful way to celebrate the bond between you and your child.
Depeding on the kit you purchase the instructions may differ slightly. For the purpose of this article we will go with our best selection of kits which is Milky Treasures.
Steps 1-4 for selecting and preparing
Are you ready to start creating something amazing? Let's go through the first 4 steps for selecting and preparing materials!
- Figure out what you want to create and what materials you'll need to make that happen.
- Start researching! Find out what materials are available, where you can get them, and what quality you need for your project. We have found thee best kits for you already, for necklaces, rings and earrings.
- Once you have your kit, read the instructions, and then read them again. Make sure you are familiar with them. Some kits come with handy instructions on your phone.
- Lay out your materials on a spacious counter so you can start creating! You'll normally need a bowl, spoon, syringe and some napkins or parchment paper.
- You'll need between 3-5 ml of breastmilk. This can be fresh or frozen, but the milks must have been stored well and not spoiled. You can read more about our advice on ways to preserve breast milk here.
Steps 6 -8 Preserving the breast milk in to a powder
6. Pour the preservation powder into the bowl, and add 3 ml of breast milk using the syringes in the kit and mix well.
7. Once you have a thick paste like consistency you can go ahead and spoon this on to the paper and spread it out.
8. You'll need to leave this now for 1-2 days to dry out completely.
Steps 9-16 Creating the stone
9. Once dry you can take the sheet and you need to grind this in to a fine breast milk powder using either a moral and pestle or spoon.
10. Take the mold which will vary depending on what you are making, and put in a little of the resin.
11. Add some breastmilk powder and any additional flakes that you may have to add color or sparkles. Some dried flowers may be nice too.
12. Put this under the UV light for 30-60 seconds
13. You can repeat steps 10-12 in steps adding more slowly until your mold is full.
14. Remove from the mold and file off any hard edges with a fine grit nail file or soft sand paper.
15. If your kit provides one, you can add a top coat as a nice glossy finish.
16. Next you need top set the stone in the jewelry you selected. Jewelry setting can be a little tricky so make sure you have good lighting.
17. Congratulations you've made your first breast milk stone that will last a lifetime. The entire process should only take a few days.
10 Helpful Tips
- Always read the instructions carefully before starting.
- Use a kit by a recommended supplier. Our favorite is Milky Treasures.
- Make sure you have all your tools before starting.
- Don't use spoiled breast milk.
- Leave the milk to dry out at room temperature.
- You can buy more breastmilk preserving powder if you use it all.
- When making the stone use a well lit and ventilated room.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands from the resin.
- Use a mat or paper to protect your table or worktop.
- Have a tooth pick handy to pop any bubbles that may appear in the resin before it gets hard.
Told you it was easy!
Crafting breast milk jewelry is a special way to honor and commemorate all the hard work moms do. Not only does the jewelry make an incredibly meaningful gift, the process of creating it teaches parents how to use tools and design together.
Plus, making jewelry out of breast milk creates a lasting connection between mother and child and helps to remind moms how special their bond is with their baby. Even though making breast milk jewelry can seem intimidating at first, with these simple DIY kits, anyone can create a one-of-a-kind item that can be treasured for generations.
So if you’re looking for a unique and creative way to show your appreciation for a busy mom in your life, crafting homemade breast milk jewelry is an extraordinary option.
And if you are just at the start of your breast feeding journey, check out these best selling breastfeeding books to help you along the way.
And if you are a working mom that needs to pump (firstly well done you!) but you may also like to read about the top pumps for working moms that are quiet, discreet and portable.
Breast milk jewelry FAQs
So you know you want to make some jewelry, but still have a few questions about the whole thing. No problem, it does sound like it would be a daunting task, but its really not! Here's some of our FAQs to help you out.
What is breast milk jewelry?
Breast milk jewelry is a unique way to honor and commemorate the special bond between mother and baby. It’s also a meaningful gift that can be treasured for generations. The process involves using tools, design and preservation powder to create custom-made pieces such as rings, necklaces or pendants out of breastmilk.
How do I make breast milk jewelry?
Making your own homemade breastmilk jewelry requires a few simple steps. First you will need kits which include dried flowers, resin, molds, syringes and preservatives used for preserving the milk over time. You'll then need to mix together ingredients in order to fill up the mold before placing it under UV light for 30-60 seconds until fully set. Once set it's important to file off any hard edges with sandpaper or nail file before adding a top coat (if provided) as a nice glossy finish . Finally you'll need to set the stone into selected jewellery setting - this may require additional tools depending on what type of item you are making!
Is breastmilk safe when preserved into jewelery?
Breastmilk jewelry is a unique way for mothers to preserve a special moment in their breastfeeding journey. The good news is that breastmilk is safe to use in these types of jewelry. When the milk is properly preserved and treated, it can last for a long time without spoiling or presenting any health risks. However, it's essential to work with a reputable breastmilk jewelry maker who follows proper hygiene and safety standards.
How long does breast milk jewelry last?
The stone will last a lifetime if cared for properly. That doesnt take in tom account damages caused by human error. But the stone should last the test of time.
Can you use old milk to create breastmilk jewelry?
Breastmilk jewelry is a unique and meaningful way to preserve the memories of breastfeeding. You can use fresh breast milk or 5 year old preserved breast milk that has been frozen. However, using old spoiled milk to create breastmilk jewelry is not recommended. Spoiled milk can contain bacteria and other contaminants that could potentially harm the wearer or the jewelry itself.
Do I need a double boiler to make Breastmilk jewelry?
No, not always. With some kits you do, but with the Milky Treasures kit that we are identifying here, you do not.
What styles of jewelry can you make with a breast milk kit?
There are various pieces of jewelry you can make, such as a breast milk ring, or a pendant necklace.
Who should I contact if I need help with the kit?
If you have any questions or concerns about the kit you are using then you should contact the supplier as they will have the best knowledge about their product.